Big Ocean Women was founded by Carolina Allen of Provo, Utah. She sees the powerful role that women can have as we influence our families, communities, and the world. As she attended a meeting at the United Nations, she saw a small group of liberal feminists making international decisions to move away from faith and family, and speaking as if for all women. As the majority of women on planet Earth are women of faith, Carolina wanted to create a massive grassroots movement of women who believe in faith, family, and motherhood. In Big Ocean, we believe that every woman is a wave in the ocean of humanity, and together we have astounding impact for good in the world. Watch as she tells the story of Big Ocean Women.
What do Big Ocean Women believe?
Big Ocean philosophy includes twelve tenets and culture articles.
We seek to build a positive, light-filled culture. Culture Articles help us explore this culture and positively shift our paradigms. Tenets are the foundational principles of Big Ocean.
Tenets and Culture
As maternal feminists, we adopt the following tenets as we inspire each other with our philosophy, stand in the public square, and serve in our homes and communities.
- We believe in God and are women of faith.
- We recognize and follow our intuitive internal compass to speak and act with integrity.
- We are free to choose, and willingly accept responsibility for our choices.
- We value the irreplaceable role of fathers and build interdependent relationships with men.
- We are empowered by our feminine nature and biology, and we honor our procreative power.
- We are each unique and innately worthy of respect.
- We live and promote a life culture and are stewards over our environment.
- We seek after knowledge and wisdom.
- We foster a culture of abundance.
- We believe in the Model of Powerful Impact.
- We work in partnership with our global sisters to create generative solutions.
- We greatly value the unique and contributing roles of families.
What is “Maternal Feminism?”
We call our philosophical banner “Maternal feminism.” Under this banner, we believe that all women are born with inherent powerful and unique characteristics which greatly contribute to our families and communities, both locally and internationally. We seek to represent these maternal strengths and contributions at all levels of politics, economy, and society. Learn more about Maternal Feminism HERE.
What does it mean to be a “member” of Big Ocean?
We would love to have you as part of the Big “Ocean” of worldwide women supporting faith, family, and motherhood! By becoming an official member, you show support for the tenets, and your desire for positive impact. Big Ocean members receive our monthly newsletter, which will share specific ways you can get involved, plus content created especially for members.
Members of Big Ocean may or may not be members of local cottages, which meet monthly and discuss Big Ocean tenets and culture. We encourage Big Ocean members to be part of our virtual community and “attend” virtual cottage events from home. We would love for members to join our media campaigns as well.
How do I sign up for Big Ocean Women?
Becoming a member of Big Ocean is free and easy. To do so, register for our website HERE. That’s it!
What are Big Ocean Cottages?
We meet in small groups called “Cottages” around the world and discuss monthly tenets or other Big Ocean principles. We are growing quickly and are currently working on ways to build these cottages. Click HERE to learn more.