Tenet 10. We believe in the Model of Powerful Impact. Our true power comes from within, then extends to our families, communities, and the world.
Our true power comes from within, and no external force can take it away without our allowance. As empowered women, we take ownership of our beliefs and attitudes. As empowered mothers (every woman who has the best interest of the rising generation at heart, and willingly gives of herself to nourish and protect the rising generation), we recognize that our influence is vast and extends to our immediate families and communities. The power of our impact extends to the world, and ultimately reaches generations.
As Mahatma Ghandi once said, “We but mirror the world. All the tendencies present in the outer world are to be found in the world of our body. If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a [woman] changes [her] nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards [her]. This is the divine mystery supreme. A wonderful thing it is and the source of our happiness. We need not wait to see what others do.” This divine mystery supreme, or Model of Powerful Impact, places each of us as critical agents in creating the changes we seek in the world.
As we acknowledge it all starts from within, we focus on making thoughtful and intentional decisions everyday with all of these spheres in mind. We understand that our decisions determine our destiny, and our positive legacies can position future generations in a place of peace and wholeness. This takes time, and we are aware that the external changes we seek may not happen overnight, but we remain resolute and determined to live the Model of Powerful Impact because it also brings to our hearts deep satisfaction.
Like a raindrop falling from the sky upon on the the surface of a pond, The Model of Powerful Impact expresses the natural positive flow of human connection and influence. These ripples originate from a bountiful source, what we call our infinite source, or God. As we prioritize developing habits that put us in genuine and constant connection with our infinite source, we are filled with strength, optimism, and resilience, irrespective of external circumstances. Our hearts and attitudes are changed, and we see those around us with an added degree of abundance, compassion and patience.
This positive energy naturally flows outward to impact those who are closest to us. This first ripple outward from ourselves, naturally, is the family. As they feel the sense of wholeness and connection, they are inspired to carry that flow of energy to other loved ones. The impact of these ripples continues on to the next sphere of influence, the community. With strong and happy families tethered to one another in love and harmony, communities will be impacted for the better. When enough individuals and families devote themselves to practicing the Model of Powerful Impact, communities will likewise feel the effects and be changed as a result; we will then see real and generative changes impacting the nations of the world.
Big Ocean Model of Powerful Impact suggests:
- All goodness, inspiration, and internal power comes from an infinite source and wellspring of abundance – God.
- As Big Ocean Women, we acknowledge this and seek to connect with this source as often as possible.
- We welcome the internal changes that take place and the many qualities we will develop as a result. Power, love, energy, creativity, forgiveness, and resilience are but a few.
- Armed with faith, we take our attitudes and beliefs and share our light in a darkened world. We become the powerful conduits to share this model with others around us.
- We recognize that the greatest impact we can have is within our homes and families. These connections and relationships take precedence over all others because of the far- reaching potential within families to shape generations.
- When strong and happy families begin serving and impacting the community, there is an added vibrancy generated, and the community is changed for the better.
- Strong and vibrant communities rejuvenate and replenish the world. Strong families lead to strong and vibrant communities that have all originated with the freedom of creating internal change from within. External force or coercion from outside institutions cannot ever replace the power and freedom that come only from this model.
In conclusion, the Model of Powerful Impact shows that a single changed individual can be the catalyst for external change, that families are the bedrock of community, and that community is the foundation of society. This model puts into perspective the natural order of things, and shows our part and our stewardship within the larger picture. When societies work to create changes from the outside, hearts cannot be changed, and individuals lose their freedom and opportunity to be the changes they seek in the world. The same way a muscle atrophies when it is not exercised, so too will our motivation and desire to connect and build weaken if we lose that responsibility. Our personal responsibility will be abdicated to larger governmental authorities and we will become susceptible to increased powerlessness if we do not advocate and put into practice this model.
- How are you receiving strength and power from the divine and infinite source of abundance? What ways have you felt this strength and power manifest in your life today?
- How does your faith help you be resilient amidst challenges?
- How does your faith empower you to create positive changes?
- How can you create awareness of our personal freedom and responsibility to be positive change-makers?
- How are you influencing your family in a positive way?
- How have you felt the positive impact of a family member or close friend help you in a time of need?
- In what ways does your family impact your community?
- How have other families influenced your family for good?
- How can your family lift the burden an individual or family in your community?
- How does this model ground you to the things that are most important?